Advertlets

Saturday 2 May 2009

Remember

Tie-dye t-shirts, Hypercolour t's, "Jem & The Holograms", "V" , Atari, Micro Genius, Powell Peralta, H-Street, Tony Hawk, LA Gear, Ocean Pacific, Vanilla Ice, SNOW, Paperboy, not forgeting 2Legit 2 Quit ... ring a bell?

This blog post came about after i stumbled upon some funktastic songs on you tube... Listening to songs from back in the day (especially local hits) actually puts a smile on my face and i'm engulfed in an unexplainable sense of joy, thinking of all the good times shared with friends. On the other hand, it also makes me realize how old i am, URGH!. Speaking of age, i feel that our generation (my age group) are one of the most fortunate. We were blessed to be of age, being able to absorb all the experiences growing up in an era where major changes took place in the world. We experienced life before internet (yes, to you young ones, there was LIFE before internet!!) and the dot com boom. A time where hordes of Skateboarders gathered in Damansara Jaya and the infamous IBM in TTDI, idolizing Tony Hawk and oogling over the latest Airwalk 540 and Vision Street Wear. We grew up without mobile phones. Then learnt to use phones from the very first giant Ericssons & ATURS, to the birth of first hand held Motorola flip phone - the MICROTAC, and then Ericsson 237 phones, to polyphonic sounds, slimmer phones with batteries that lasted longer than an hour, then to colored screens and now phones with WiFi and 3G... We lived through an era of safe neighborhoods where we could roam the streets at night without a care and snatch thefts were unheard of... i could go on and on, but i think i'll save it for a dedicated 'growing up' post when i find the time.

In the mean time, here are a few songs from some of my fave local artiste from the time before CD's. To those of you "blessed" souls, reminisce. To those who've never heard of these songs before, i hope you enjoy them as much i do. I heard from Point Blanc that NICO is still around in Kampung Baru, but i wonder whats happened to all of them? To those who know, do share.

4U2C - Fiona


NICO - Inilah Nasibku

FEMININ - Untukmu

NICO - Untukmu Sayang


ELITE - G.I.G.


INDIGO - Istimewa


NICO - Kaulah Gadisku

6 comments:

cinta said...

hahah!
i know you speak fluently didn't know u were into Malay songs :)

Demon said...

Hey, thanks for dropping in!
yeah, i am a pretty big fan... Hujan and Meet Uncle Hussein are on my playlist..accompanied by a host of Indonesian songs. :)

Autumn said...

smart dude. yea, someone seems to understand me very well by just reading my blog, but there are a lot of things that he or she does not know. especially those moments that i did not post in my blog.that fella wanna give me a slap.

Emily T said...

Oh my, I've never heard ANY of the people, cartoon, song etc you mentioned in this post! Except for Tony Hawk (cos he's famous during my time as well) and Jem & The Holograms (cos you mentioned it to me before and I went and Googled it out of curiosity). Hehe you're old! :P

Alliepie said...

OMG!! Fiona and Untukmu. I love those songs! Brings back memories man.

Its also the era of NKOTB, Debbie Gibson and Tommy Page. lol

Demon said...

phang: hahahahah! ya... not forgetting East17, Freedom William, and Collette.